Friday, October 30, 2009

Nine at Nine Update


The view from the landing overlooking what used to be regarded as THE worst golf course in Lane County has indeed changed. Now, off to the right and down the hill we see the covered driving range, yards in front of the grass tee area, and facing out over a well thought out and well kept target area with clearly marked yardages and flags. To the front is the 1st hole, a dogleg left, that everyone tries to fly over the small hill ,and almost always falls short.
Laurelwood, a name that used to be Laurelweed among the Eugene golfers brave enough to play it, was legend. I heard things like "bring your pack mule".
The course opened in 1929 as an 18 hole Country Club and was the first golf course built in Eugene.
Now it is absolutely gorgeous!  Any time you see the general manager riding around on a mower making sure the cuts are correct, you know you are in good hands.
The day was balmy and the lot was full. There were people waiting in line to tee off and I almost said to hell with the rest of the day and rented some clubs ($10). Fees are a mere $15 for nine and worth that just to tee off at one.
This was the first place I ever hit a ball, only 14 years ago. I was so put off by it that I did not hit another ball until 2006.
Debbie King has had a lot to do with what has happened here and was nice enough to give us a certificate for 9 holes. A friend took me out early this year for 9 and I was so impressed that I can't wait to play here again!

No comments:

Post a Comment